Patricia Barber “Clique” Hybrid 5.1 Multi-Channel & Stereo SACD
Coming August 6th, Pre-Order Now!
“THE HARMONIC LANGUAGE OF JAZZ, AS WELL AS THAT OF THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK, IS CERTAINLY RICH—LOOK HOW MUCH HAS COME OUT OF IT—BUT IT’S CIRCUMSCRIBED. I STARTED WANTING TO HEAR SOMETHING ELSE.” —Patricia Barber
Patricia Barber, the performer known for boldly blurring the lines between poetry, jazz, and art song, has announced the forthcoming release of a new all-standards album Clique, due out August 6th in breathtaking hi-fi. The long-awaited successor to Nightclub, her critically acclaimed and fan-favorite first all standards album, Clique features a tracklist of tunes that Barber has frequently performed as encores throughout her illustrious career, including classics by Rodgers & Hammerstein, Stevie Wonder, Lee Hazlewood, Lerner & Loewe, Thelonious Monk and more. After growing an international cult following, earning the first-ever Guggenheim Fellowship awarded to a non-classical songwriter, and becoming an elected member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Patricia Barber is back with a “silk, velvet, languid, warm” journey through music history as she “respects traditions, bends them to make her own points, and freshens them into something new,” as noted in the album liner notes by NPR’s Susan Stamberg.
These are relaxed, communal sessions. Her long-time core duo of bassist Patrick Mulcahy and drummer Jon Deitemyer ride up and down, in and out of Barber’s complex, sensitive playing and reflective singing. The support of her long-term players, along with guitarist Neal Alger and saxophonist Jim Gailloretto allow her to shine brightly while digging out striking moments for their own unique contributions. The chemistry is palpable, all-encompassing. This group’s long-developed synergy—painstakingly curated by these musicians for years—provides both a metaphor and the perfect title for her new album.
Impex Records, Patricia Barber, Jim Anderson invite you to experience the music, revel in the mastery, and join the Clique!
- Recorded by Grammy-winning engineer, Jim Anderson in DXD ultra-high resolution (32bit/ 352.8 kHz), mixed by Anderson at Skywalker Sound, and mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering.
- Technical Producer Ulrike Schwarz, Anderson Audio New York
- Recorded using Merging+Clock U Technologies & Music Chords Power Distribution
- MQA CD and SACD pressed at Sonopress in Germany.
- SACD and Digital Downloads feature full resolution 5.1 surround and stereo mixes.
- Strikingly designed packaging with never-before-seen photos and engaging essays by Jazz Times’ Thomas Conrad, NPR correspondent Susan Stamberg, Grammy-winning engineer – Jim Anderson, and Patricia Barber.
- This Town
- Trouble Is a Man
- One Note Samb
- I Could Have Danced All Night
- The In Crowd
- Shall We Dance
- Straight, No Chaser
- All is Fair in Love
Produced by PATRICIA BARBER and JIM ANDERSON
Recorded and mixed by JIM ANDERSON